The Power of Lonhro
Dec 03, 2018
The Power of Lonhro
The colours of this season’s star three year-old colt Trapeze Artist were carried to victory at Warwick Farm by promising two year-old filly I Like It Easy (2f Pierro x Gai’s Choice, by General Nediym) , who was one of three quick winners for her sire on Wednesday.
A homebred for Bert Vieira prepared by Gerald Ryan, I Like It Easy was second on debut at Rosehill last month and then finished fifth in a fillies maiden at Randwick two weeks ago.
Ridden forward from the gate by Josh Parr to travel in second place, she forged clear at the finish to win the 1200 metre maiden by three-quarters of a length.
“She’s won a six furlong race today, but she moves more like a miler,” said Josh Parr.
“She was never that comfortable in the run racing up on the pace, so it will be interesting to see her in longer races.”
I Like it Easy is the first winner for stakes-winning General Nediym mare Gai’s Choice, who was raced with great success by the Vieira family winning seven races and over $400,000 in prizemoney.
A half-sister to stakes-winners Atmospherical and Peron, Gai’s Choice has a weanling filly by Vancouver and was one of 192 mares covered by Pierro last spring.
Pierro posted a treble of winners on Wednesday with two year-old filly Willo Titto (2f Pierro x Calchris, by Commands) scoring easily on debut at the Gold Coast for the David Vandyke stable, while in New Zealand three year-old gelding Seirios (3g Pierro x Irish Lights, by Fastnet Rock) scored his first win at Te Awamutu for the Te Akau racing team.
Top performers already include…
- Levendi – 5-time winner including the Gr.1 Australian Derby, Gr.2 Tulloch Stakes &Gr.3 Carbine Club Stakes for Peter Gelagotis
- Pinot – 3-time winner for Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott including the Gr.1 VRC Oaks & Gr.3 Ethereal Stakes
- Action – 3-time winner including the Gr.2 WATC Derby
- Tulip – brilliant winner of the Gr.3 Magic Night Stakes & Gr.3 Typhoon Tracy Stakes. Third in the Gr.1 Golden Slipper
- Kentucky Breeze – dual winner including the Listed Emirates Airline H’cap
- Satin Slipper – 2yo Listed Gimcrack Stakes winner
- Pierata – 4-time winner including the Gr.3 BRC Vo Rogue Plate & Listed Magic Million 3YO Guineas. Runner-up in the Gr.1 Randwick Guineas & Gr.2 placed twice
- Roy Had Enough – 4-time winner including the Listed Christmas H’cap
- Furore – 4-time winner & third in the Gr.1 Rosehill Guineas
- Poseidon’s Pool – dual winner for Darren Weir & placed in the Gr.3 Vain Stakes
- Princess Pierro – runner-up in the Listed Supremacy Stakes
- Holbien – runner-up in the Listed Bendigo Guineas
2018 yearlings have already sold for $1,050,000, $1,050,000, $550,000, $500,000 etc.
Australian Sires: O’Lonhro Continues to Impress
Larneuk is producing results in Australia and Singapore following on from an impressive win in the Group 1 Sires Produce, the farms stallions just keep producing winners.
6 winners in 3 days and 4 winners today.
The O’Lonhros are also racing well, winners of late including Union Jukebox, Skyscraper, Mr Bellagio, The Mood I’m In, O’Lonhro Bay, Blue Valour, O’So Tempting, Franquin, King Of The Ark, Moving On Up, La Rita, Mamzelle Tess, Lonruse and the tough stakes placed O’Lonera.
“Hopefully the good results both stallions are enjoying will give breeders food for thought as they consider their spring plans,” Murdoch said. “There is a lot to be said for using proven stallions whose service fees offer such great value.”
O’Lonhro’s Impressive Week
Monday, May 7
Wangaratta: Ga Cheshire & Sons Mdn Plate, 1000m
1 of 11: St Paul’s Bay (ex: Sahara Sands)
Tnr: J E and C Ledger Rdr: Zac Spain
Wangaratta: Financial Momentum (Bm58), 1300m
1 of 12: Blue Valour (ex: Blue Capri)
Tnr: A Fitzgerald Rdr: Harry Grace
Sunday, May 6
Singapore: Mdn (Syn), 1200m
Tnr: D Meagher Rdr: Alan Munro
Singapore: Mdn, 1200m
Tnr: K Y Young Rdr: W H Kok
Werribee: Tonia T Boutique Mdn Plate, 1005m
Tnr: M J McKenzie Rdr: L Nolen
Saturday, May 5
Mt Garnet: Totally Workwear Mt Garnet Hcp, 1800m
Tnr: O Chillemi Rdr: W D’Avila